Response has Two Different Types
After listening person's massage, we reply to him/her with one of two types of responses, "Reactive response" or "Confirmative response".
These classification and terms are the original of Yoshio Asano.
The classification, "Reactive response" and "Confirmative response", makes it easy to explain the process and effects of dialog (communication).
An example of a message and the responses
Sleep did not come to me till late because I have something on my mind recently.
- I am the same, too.
- Don't worry about it, and you can fall asleep instantly.
- I can understand your feeling because sometimes sleep did not come to me instantly.
- I think worrying is wasteful.
- Do your best in the daytime, so you can sleep deeply at night.
- What are you worrying about?
- You are tired, aren't you?
- You have a lot of problems to be solved, don't you?
- You believe you can't sleep deeply because of something to worry about.
- You are hoping for sleeping deeply at night.
- You are in constant anxiety as to sleeping.
The difference of the effect between the two types
1. The effect of "Reactive response" is irregular with various conditions (the relationship between persons, feeling of each other at that time, contents and intonation of the massage, etc.), so "Reactive response" is risky in no small way.
2. "Confirmative response" is effective to deepen mutual understanding and rapport between the persons in any case.
The general rule of the "Dialogue Method" is restated like this;
To reply with "Confirmative response" before "Reactive response".
As usual, "Reactive response" is commonly called;
ordering, directing, warning, threatening, moralizing, preaching, advising, lecturing, teaching, judging, criticizing, disagreeing, blaming, praising, agreeing, ridiculing, shaming, analyzing, diagnosing, sympathizing, consoling, supporting, probing, questioning, etc.
Institute of Dialogue Method 2-6 Miyoshi-cho, Kiryu, Gunma, Japan Copyright (C)2004-2009, Yoshio Asano, All rights Reserved.